The Owls Head, South Thomaston and Thomaston Solid Waste Co-operative operates a solid waste and recycling transfer station at 34 Buttermilk Drive which is the first road to the east of the Dragon Cement Plant off of Route 1 and near the Rockland Thomaston Town Line.
HOURS: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For storm cancellations, please call 594-0748. Please let the phone ring on regular open days as the crew may be outside helping users.
STICKERS: Starting in October of 2018, a new purple and black transfer station sticker is needed in order to transfer your trash, and other items listed below. Purchase a purple and black sticker for $15.00 at the Co-operative Transfer Station on 34 Buttermilk Drive. The sticker is a 2-year sticker that will expire on 12-31-2020. This sticker covers the use of the Transfer Station and the Stump Dump Stickers will be placed on the inside of the windshield by a transfer station attendant.
THE TRANSFER STATION CANNOT TAKE LIQUIDS IN ANY MANNER, SHAPE OR FORM
WHAT CAN WE TAKE FOR DISPOSAL?
ECOMAINE FACILITY ACCEPTABLE WASTE: Some of the waste we take gets transferred to the Ecomaine trash to energy facility in Portland. The Ecomaine facility will accept solid waste that meets the following definition found in its waste disposal agreements:
"Acceptable Waste" means Solid Waste, including all ordinary household, municipal, institutional, commercial and industrial wastes which consist primarily of combustible materials, except for the following:
- Demolition or construction debris from building and roadway projects or locations
- Liquid wastes or sludges
- Abandoned or junk vehicles
- Hazardous Waste
- Dead animals or portions thereof or other pathological wastes
- Water treatment facility residues
- Tree stumps (PLEASE NOTE: For information on the stump dump click HERE)
- Tannery sludge
- Waste oil
- Discarded "white goods" such as freezers, refrigerators, washing machines, etc. (PLEASE NOTE: Although Ecomaine does not accept "white goods" we do. Please see our policy below titled "White Metal Goods")
- Waste which in the reasonable judgment of Ecomaine's weigh station operator based solely upon a visual inspection has a BTU content of less than 4000 BTUs per pound unless the waste fails to meet the aforementioned BTU minimum requirement solely because of the moisture content of such waste and such moisture content is due to abnormally wet weather conditions; and
- Waste which, in the reasonable judgment of Ecomaine based on a visual inspection at the time of delivery could, if processed; result in damage to the Facility, interruption of normal Facility operations or extraordinary processing or maintenance costs, solely by virtue of the physical or chemical properties of such waste.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD A PDF WITH INFORMATION ABOUT THE ECOMAINE SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING PROGRAM
WHITE METAL GOODS: Washers, dryers, gas or electric ranges etc. $5.00. Refrigerators or any other unit with a compressor with refrigerant in it -$10.00 Refrigerators with locking doors must have doors removed.
PAINTS, STAINS, OR OTHER CANNED LIQUIDS: Small pieces of metal go into the roll off to the East of the old hopper site at no charge. Open cans with dried up paint go into hopper. All other liquids in cans must be taken home and mixed with sawdust, kitty litter, sand etc. and left to harden then thrown into the hopper.
USED MOTOR OIL: Some area garages take straight used oil. Ask your attendant for the name of a facility in your town.
FREE FOR RESIDENTIAL USERS:
FLUORESENT TUBES & CFLS: Fluorescent tubes (all lengths, shapes and sizes) and CFLs (Compact Fluorescent Lamps) See attendant in operators building. Do not break and put in plastic bag. Broken bulbs require special handling. Call Maine DEP in Augusta or go to their web site for instructions on how to handle broken bulbs.
ITEMS WITH MERCURY: We are licensed to take household items that contain mercury or PCBs. See Attendant.
ALL PLASTICS: All plastics with recyclable symbols 1 thru 7 embossed on the bottom. WE CANNOT TAKE PLASTIC BAGS, FOOD WRAPPING, BUBBLE WRAP OR ANY OTHER LIGHT WEIGHT “FLOATING” PLASTIC MATERIAL. Please return to stores or put in rubbish barrels outside of the two single stream roll off containers.
FOOD GRADE GLASS BOTTLES: All colors of food grade glass bottles but no glass bulbs, cooking pans, fish bowls, drinking glasses, outside light covers, mirrors, etc. These cannot yet be recycled.
REDEMPTION BOTTLES & CANS: Redeemable glass bottles and cans (must show embossing or label that says ME 5 cents-15 cents) Please put these in grocery carts outside of the single stream roll off container. All of these go to the Knox County Humane Society.
CARDBOARD: Clean and flattened non-waxed boxes go in the three open topped dumpsters.
THE CO-OP CANNOT HAVE ANY LIQUIDS GO INTO THE HOPPERS. PLEASE DRAIN RAINWATER, FISH JUICE, ETC. AT HOME PRIOR TO COMING TO THE STATION.